Thursday, May 29, 2008

5 Things I've Learned in 5 Years

So I was adding it up this morning, and I've been writing novels for five years. There's a big difference between the writer I was in 2003 and the writer I am now. Here's what I have learned in 5 years:

  1. Just because you wrote 200 pages doesn't mean you wrote a good book.
  2. Nothing is ever as good as it can be in the first draft.
  3. You cannot revise alone.
  4. If you still can't sell your book after revisions, rewrites, and a spit-polish, write another one.
  5. If you ever get to the point where the writing isn't worth it, just quit.

Let's hope I learn a little bit more about actually publishing something in the next five years!

1 comment:

PJ Hoover said...

I love the idea of thinking about what I've learned since I started writing. I may have to steal this one from you!
Love the "write another one" advice!
Happy weekend!