Sunday, May 9, 2010

Things My Mother Told Me

(Angela Cerrito originally posted things her mother told her, and I thought the idea was so good, I'm copying it for Mother's Day!)

For at least one second today, just be quiet!

Tell the truth.

Quit crying, you're not really hurt.

It's OK to cry.

Wait till your father gets home.

It's OK, we don't have to tell him.

It's doesn't matter if you didn't do it, the teacher says you did it, and you're going to get it when we get home.

I know that isn't fair. Life isn't fair.

Is that really the best you can do?

It's OK that you didn't win. You worked hard. You tried your best.

I don't care if you don't want to do your chores. You're doing them anyway.

I don't have to pay you to do chores. You're doing them anyway.

Don't try to go to your father. You're going to do your chores one way or the other.

Clean your plate.

I don't care if it's broccoli, clean your plate.

I don't care if it's okra, clean your plate.

Quit whining.

You know I love you, right?

When you're on the trip, don't just take a bunch of pictures of your friends, take pictures of everything you see around you.

Whatever you want to do, you can do it.

But I'm not paying for it.

Go to church.

Watch your weight.

You are not leaving the house like that.

Don't compare yourself to your brother.

You'll regret doing that when you're older.

You'll regret not doing that when you're older.

I miss him, too.

Quit yelling, I'm just trying to help.

I'm sorry.

I don't know why they don't want to publish you. Your book is awesome!

One day, you're going to be published and I'll be first in line to get your book.

I believe in you.

I love you.

14 comments:

Kristine Asselin said...

Awesome, Beth. Happy Mother's Day.

Sage Ravenwood said...

What a heartfelt entry.

Happy Mother's Day! (Hugs)Indigo

Natalie said...

Your mom was a wise woman. Happy Mother's Day!

Unknown said...

This was the funniest way to give thanks on this wonderful Mother's Day! I thoroughly enjoyed this post, thanks for sharing!

Angela said...

Beth; I'm flattered that you did this & thank you for linking to my post! You mom is wonderful!!! (But I'm going to have to throw her down to get your book first, she knows that right?)

Bethany Elizabeth said...

Aren't mothers amazing? I sure love mine. :)

B.J. Anderson said...

Lol, that was awesome. And very touching at the end. Happy Mother's Day!

Theresa Milstein said...

Oh so sweet. I love the seemingly contradictory lines, but I'm sure they're contextual.

You show that even when we're young, we're listening. And when someone believes in us, it helps us go far.

Yat-Yee said...

I love how you put two seemingly contradictory sayings next to one another. "I am sorry" and "I love you" will always make me all choked up...

Karen Lange said...

Smart lady. You are blessed with a good Mom.

Clementine said...

Oh Beth, I love that! Thank you so much for posting it. Hope you have a wonderful day with your mother!

Ello - Ellen Oh said...

That was so awesome! I hope you had a wonderful Mother's day!

Susan Kaye Quinn said...

I love it! Happy (belated) Mother's Day!

lotusgirl said...

This is so moving. What a tribute to your mother. I heard those same things from my mother. The one about the pictures was the opposite though. Her advice was to take pictures of the friends and not just have pictures of things and places with no people.