Friday, December 6, 2013

A Date With a Dress

I have been a fan of These Broken Stars for so long that I find it sort of boggling that the entire world hasn't read it yet--although, of course, that's probably due to the fact that it's not quite out yet. The book is released in America next Tuesday, and I really hope you check it out! 

In fact, I loved the book so much, I blurbed it:
Absolutely brilliant. This is the sci fi I've been waiting for! Action, romance, twists and turns--this book has it all!
It has all my favorites:

          ✓ A giant spaceship
          ✓ Pretty stars
          ✓ Alternating POVs, and both protags have an excess of sass
          ✓ A twisty end I didn't see coming at ALL
          ✓ A philosophical edge that is just brilliant
          ✓ A beautiful, beautiful dress

Don't believe me on that last one? Check out this beautiful cover:


RIGHT? ISN'T IT GORGEOUS?! Which is why, when Meg and Amie said that they actually had the dress that is on the cover, and that they would let me take it out for a spin, I knew I had to do something special. I mean, come on! This is the literal, actual, REAL dress that was REALLY used on their book cover!!! (You can even see it in some of the behind-the-scenes photos here!)

I had to take it to a castle.


The Biltmore House is America's largest home, and the closest thing to a castle that I have. Meg and I headed up there on a cold November day to take the beautiful dress from the book cover on a very special date.

There was no way I was getting into that dress--I was terribly afraid of ripping it or messing it up! I don't have the grace of Sooz Dennard or Diana Peterfreund, who did--but fortunately, I happened to know another Diana, one that looked over the Biltmore House.


And let me tell you, she looked hawt.


We were so afraid of being kicked out for doing this!

Can't you just imagine her jumping out of a spaceship, with a hot soldier right on her heels?

Of course I posed with her--and of course I'm wearing my starry tights!
 You guys can see how long the dress is from this pic, but you wouldn't believe how silky smooth and flowing it was. I could not resist taking it for a bit of a dance in the lawn in front of the fanciest house I know of.

I was pretty awkward...



...especially in the spins...


...but the dress was gorgeous.


We totally became besties. 


This was such an awesome experience, and I'm so glad Meg and Amie let me take their book cover dress on such a wonderful date!

And I have to say--it's had a very busy week!

And as of next Tuesday, you can have the dress, too--or at least, the image of it on your book cover. AND if you pre-order the book, you also get a free poster!






It's a night like any other on board the Icarus. Then, catastrophe strikes: the massive luxury spaceliner is yanked out of hyperspace and plummets into the nearest planet. Lilac LaRoux and Tarver Merendsen survive. And they seem to be alone.

Lilac is the daughter of the richest man in the universe. Tarver comes from nothing, a young war hero who learned long ago that girls like Lilac are more trouble than they’re worth. But with only each other to rely on, Lilac and Tarver must work together, making a tortuous journey across the eerie, deserted terrain to seek help.

Then, against all odds, Lilac and Tarver find a strange blessing in the tragedy that has thrown them into each other’s arms. Without the hope of a future together in their own world, they begin to wonder—would they be better off staying here forever?

Everything changes when they uncover the truth behind the chilling whispers that haunt their every step. Lilac and Tarver may find a way off this planet. But they won’t be the same people who landed on it.

Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner are longtime friends and sometime flatmates who have traveled the world (but not yet the galaxy), covering every continent between them. They are sure outer space is only a matter of time. Meagan, who is also the author of the Skylark trilogy, currently lives in Asheville, NC, while Amie lives in Melbourne, Australia. Although they currently live apart, they are united by their love of space opera, road trips, and second breakfasts.

Visit the These Broken Stars website for the latest news on the series and follow the authors on Twitter at @AmieKaufman and@MeaganSpooner


You may also sign up for their newsletter as well! These Broken Stars will be available in North America onDecember 10, 2013.

No comments: